A Social Media Strategy
Social media has become a major issue in our day and time. However, we as Christians must be thoughtful of our words. The Scripture has much to say about this - here are just a few examples:
- Proverbs 18:21 - Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.
- Ephesians 4:29 - Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
- Matthew 12:36 - I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, (Just think about that one!!)
- Proverbs 21:23 - Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.
- James 1:26 - If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.
- Psalm 19:14 - Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.
In considering these verses as we think about social media and our impact in this new dimension of modern life, Ligion Duncan offers some help in thinking through how we are to behave as believer in Christ Jesus.
J. Ligon Duncan's Social Media Strategy:
1. Relentlessly encourage, edify & inform.
2. Ignore trolls, mockers & slanderers into oblivion.
3. Starve dissensionists, narcissists, & errorists of the attention they crave.
4. Point people to sound people & resources.
5. Exalt Christ. Bible. Grace. Truth. Gospel.
6. Stay out of food fights. Don’t lob hand grenades into serious discussions. Bring people together.
7. Be kind. Persuade (rather than rally).
8. Treat people on social media like I would treat them in person.
9. Don’t be different on social media from what I am in my life, family, church and ministry. Be the same person online and offline.
10. Don’t give inordinate attention to people whose only “platform” is social media & who elsewhere have little accountability, responsibility.